Monday, February 22, 2010

Where my heart is.



This morning i went to an old neighborhood place to buy some bagels for my manager's meeting. While i was waiting for my order an old man walked in. I could guess that he was close to his eighties or so. It called my attention that the owner of the place new what he wanted and before i knew it the owner started to get his order. As the owner of the bagel place started to cut a huge bagel covered with sesame seeds i began to wonder. I could not helped to think of how much that old man liked that huge bagel. I walked out with my order and sat on my car. I watched the old man walk out with his huge bagel and a cup of coffee.

I too go out of my way to find comforting food. It is very interesting how much pride i feel when i find a good Hispanic restaurant. I have been in the United States for more than twenty years now, and even though i consider myself an AMERICAN I could never give up on all of the
Latin food that reminds me of my childhood. Today, I though of myself at that age going to a Hispanic restaurant and finding my favorite thing to eat. I want to believe that this is one of the best thing about this country,diversity and assimilation. I certainly hope, that there still will be many restaurants where i and many of us could go twenty years from now and find all of the comforting food that we enjoy so much. It is very important for me to be able to enjoy the taste of my Country. It does not matter where i go, or where i live it is nice to know that like the old man today in the bagel place i could have a place where i could find my piece of land.

No comments:

Post a Comment